In Reply to: Springsteen...Great Political Thinker ? posted by mikenyc on July 24, 2002 at 01:38:36:
As someone who has repeatedly been touched by Springsteen's music and (ahem) message, I can only feel sorry for you that, in your cynicism, you have seen it all as an (ahem) attempt to attain commercial viability without offending anyone. You're missing a great game.
Taking but one example, his Streets of Philadelphia single was a brave attempt to humanize the plight of AIDS by articulating the psychological suffering of one victim. By putting him or herself in his shoes, the listener gains some degree of compassion, without value judgement, to the horror of the diease.
That's the approach that he takes to his music in general: providing portraits of individuals, not stereotypes, making it through one day at a time. For some of us, through each glimpse of humanity that he so eloquently provides, we gain an understanding of ourselves and each other. What he does is extremely subtle- interweaving these little character studies with all-out mindless rockers that revel in nothing but the joy of rock.
Before you write him off totally, I urge you to drop $75 on a ticket for his upcoming tour. The shows are extremely well thought out, with pacing that takes you up and down and then back up (and down) again. I really never "got it" with Bruce until I saw him live.
I have no idea whether The Rising will be on a par with his earlier work. For me, Bruce generally kind of lost the plot in his recordings after Tunnel of Love, but the sheer quality of the unreleased stuff on tacks gives me new hope. I hope he's back on track.
Give him a shot.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Springsteen's "The Rising" single is out - mikenyc 14:33:57 07/20/02 (28)
- Re: Springsteen's "The Rising" single is out - JohntheScot 04:53:21 07/23/02 (4)
- OH.. Pleazzze his voice....?? - OH...Pleazzzzzze his voice is awful... 03:52:16 07/28/02 (0)
- Agreed - Robert Bradford 16:18:57 07/23/02 (0)
- Re: Springsteen's "The Rising" single is out - Robert H. 05:45:26 07/23/02 (1)
- Tom Joad - John 10:14:34 07/23/02 (0)
- As long as it comes out on vinyl, I'm there - DAT 14:59:51 07/22/02 (0)
- Re: Springsteen's "The Rising" single is out - nyced 17:04:38 07/21/02 (0)
- Re: Springsteen's "The Rising" single is out - Rob Doorack 14:23:33 07/21/02 (0)
- He Sounds Like A Bull Moose Pulling his Foot Outta Da Mud & always has... - dvdhead 16:08:03 07/20/02 (19)
- Re: Generalizations - Bob 10:38:53 07/23/02 (0)
- Tom Waits & Bruce's New Duets cd: Cover Me(My Ears First Please)..In Hi-Fi Mono(Tone) - FF 15:21:29 07/21/02 (0)
- He Sounds Like A Bull Moose..... - mikenyc 23:16:14 07/20/02 (16)
- Bruce Springsteen - mikenyc 11:04:26 07/21/02 (15)
- Sure. I love his music and his commitment (nt) - John 10:20:43 07/23/02 (9)
- Re: Sure. I love his music and his commitment (nt) - mikenyc 11:47:04 07/23/02 (8)
- Re: Sure. I love his music and his commitment (nt) - JohntheScot 00:29:19 07/24/02 (0)
- Re: Sure. I love his music and his commitment (nt) - BillF 14:14:48 07/23/02 (6)
- Springsteen...Great Political Thinker ? - mikenyc 01:38:36 07/24/02 (5)
- after reading you description of Bruce... - The Killer Piglet 13:29:29 07/21/02 (0)
- Bruce Springsteen.. - 4frank2 12:39:49 07/21/02 (3)
You can not post to an archived thread.