(Please excuse the length of this post. I have loose associations and anyway, Spike Jones is too good to limit his music.)
Links are not necessary for surf music - The Beachboys, Jan and Dean, etc. I guess that was popular in the sixties and was somehow linked to fast convertibles. On the East Coast, who knew?
Perversions of Hawaiian music were popular in the forties and fifties. Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3danLzgFk Arthur Godfrey - My Little Grass Shack. I came to hate Arther Godfrey from the very bottom of my soul. Its also confusing because although he was a red baiter, he wants to go back with the Commies and Wahelas that he knew so long ago.
My Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua, Hawaii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9nU_v0_vdI&feature=autoplay&list=PL476E9B8CFDCF398B&playnext=3 HOLO HOLO KAA Hawaiian Song Music 1949 "Step on the gas, pal, going my way"???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h2mFR-Honk&feature=autoplay&list=PL476E9B8CFDCF398B&playnext=2 LUCKY STRIKE CIGARETTE COMMERCIAL w/ HULA GIRL 1953 The whole thing is totally perverted to serve the interests of advertising. Note the legerdemain as she produces a cigarette from her bra.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=HavCL3J6Fz8&feature=fvwrel Mills Brothers Grass Shack. OTOH, The Mills Brothers could do no wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=OUjayFrxcQo&feature=endscreen The Mills Brothers - Nagasaki. Isn't Nagasaki in Japan, not Hawaii? Not that it matters, the words are exactly the same as the Hawaiian grass shack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X8e_cg3sdI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL476E9B8CFDCF398B Bobby Hackett - Hapa Haole Hula Girl. This is fine.
Where is Spike Jones when you need him?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8QduGMCCZU Spike Jones Girl Musician Medley.wmv - Spike Jones in drag. Eat your hearts out, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=a2cDczGQibw&NR=1 SPIKE JONES - The Hi-Fi Shop. Right up our alley. It just wouldn't work with CD's, would it? Note that he uses the exact same record for every demonstration!
Back to topic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7swR8MATA0 Spike Jones Hawaiian War Chant. Did you know Lulu spelled backwards is Ulul?
Fortunately, we don't hear much surf music or Hawaiian ersatz music. Is belly dancing going to take their place? There was belly dancing among the demonstrations outside the Supreme Court when they handed down their epic decision on the Affordable Health Care Act?
Lastly, "Hawaiian Elevator Music" played a central role in the obscure movie "Simon" starring Alan Arkin. Simon, a third order psychology professor and subject of the Institute for Advanced Concepts, goes on to win the Pulitzer Peace prize for his religion, which he broadcasts everywhere, jamming television stations. The essence of his philosophy is to get rid of "Hawaiian Elevator Music." HEM burrows its way into peoples psyches, subtly leading to vague and uncontrollable violence.
Again my apologies for the length and convoluted nature of this post.
"Where the hell's all the f***ing kangaroos?", Thelonious Monk in Australia, circa 1965, during drive from Sydney to NewcastleThis post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Which is the lesser of two evils, surf music or Hawaiian music? - Mysterious Mose 13:56:28 07/05/12 (15)
- RE: Which is the lesser of two evils, surf music or Hawaiian music? - mauimusicman 18:54:21 07/16/12 (0)
- I'm a believer - Mysterious Mose 20:45:16 07/09/12 (0)
- I'm a big fan of... - mkuller 14:54:47 07/07/12 (0)
- What a peculiar question. - J.R. 07:38:52 07/07/12 (5)
- Beach Boys rule... - mkuller 14:51:57 07/07/12 (4)
- They don't rule surf music, not by a long shot. - J.R. 15:35:47 07/07/12 (3)
- RE: They don't rule surf music, not by a long shot. - Mysterious Mose 20:29:32 07/09/12 (1)
- Dick Dale has the afro; SRV has the hat. NT - J.R. 20:49:21 07/09/12 (0)
- Pipeline... - mkuller 18:31:48 07/07/12 (0)
- RE: Which is the lesser of two evils, surf music or Hawaiian music? - MylesJ 22:27:51 07/05/12 (1)
- Just saw Jake... - jimbill 17:48:05 07/06/12 (0)
- Neither.............. - Todd Krieger 16:07:51 07/05/12 (0)
- Listen to the soundtrack of "The Descendants." - free.ranger 15:12:56 07/05/12 (1)
- RE: Listen to the soundtrack of "The Descendants." - Bizango1 08:19:25 07/17/12 (0)
- Hawaiian music can be very classy. - Poles Apart 13:59:33 07/05/12 (0)