In Reply to: layman posted by jult52 on July 2, 2012 at 09:04:47:
B&W = metal tweeter + aramid fibers (kevlar) that stiffen when exposed to ultraviolet light (sunlight) resulting in a rasping, papery, gritty sound at the top of the drivers range. Same kinds of problems as the Magnepans.
I no longer use speakers with metal dome tweeters because the (metal) tweeters have a tendency to ring and shriek in the lower part of their range resulting in steely sounding high strings.
Ideally the driver should not overlay the sound of the recording with spurious sounds (resonances) of its own.
If you tap or scrape a driver, does it make sound? If it does, then those resonances will overlay the sound being reproduced.
For that reason, I like drivers that self-damp, that resist ringing...such as fabric dome tweeters and paper or plastic coned woofers (even some the newer space age foam sandwich materials like rohacell).
Electrostatic drive units also seem to be good at self-damping.
Going to class A amplification usually (but not always) means removing the kind of gritty and edgy sounding distortions that Class D, Class B and (to a much lesser extent) Class A/B type amplifiers produce.
Morevoer, gritty and edgy sounding (digital) distortions are a more or less permanent fixture of the CD standard of digital encoding. The better (CD) players can supress these but to my ears only higher resolution formats are more or less free from these issues (SACD being the most natural sounding to me).
In my system(s) I use speakers with fabric dome tweeters (scanspeak, dynaudio), and plastic coned woofers (dynaudio, rogers). The speakers do not sound edgy or harsh and do not shriek or ring. My main amplifier is Class-A. It sounds silky, refined and detailed and free of the hard, edgy distortions of many of the amplifiers that I have used in the past. My source is usually SACD but the Marantz SACD/CD player does a very good job with CD too. I am quite pleased.
Edits: 07/02/12This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Classical music listening issue - high strings - jult52 10:22:01 06/28/12 (49)
- RE: Classical music listening issue - high strings - email@example.com 15:50:19 07/12/12 (0)
- That is merely a symptom of a system wide problem I like to refer to as "audioitis." You're merely hearing - tinear 09:18:09 07/12/12 (0)
- I wanted to thank everyone for their - jult52 04:18:40 07/01/12 (5)
- Lots of problems - layman 11:07:00 07/01/12 (4)
- Do you like how the violin section of an orchestra sounds live? - Teresa 03:46:38 07/01/12 (19)
- You're Actually A Guy, Aren't You? - Mike Porper 08:21:27 07/03/12 (2)
- Next she'll tell us she's sold all her Paavo Jarvi recordings - flyingdutchman 17:06:54 07/02/12 (4)
- Actually - Teresa 19:33:23 07/02/12 (3)
- RE: Do you like how the violin section of an orchestra sounds live? - flyingdutchman 17:04:42 07/02/12 (0)
- Teresa - EXPOSED FOR ALL TO SEE!! - krisjan 05:24:34 07/01/12 (7)
- Thanks I changed argo to arco. - Teresa 17:11:35 07/01/12 (2)
- Teresa - Nice to have you back - have the sanctions against you here been lifted? [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 18:52:57 07/01/12 (1)
- Been back for over a year, however - Teresa 19:00:28 07/01/12 (0)
- really? - Analog Scott 11:44:01 07/01/12 (3)
- Correct I didn't use the word "harsh" once in the post krisjan responded to - Teresa 18:57:15 07/01/12 (0)
- RE: really? - ahendler 18:29:08 07/01/12 (1)
- RE: really? - Analog Scott 23:29:29 07/01/12 (0)
- Hi Teresa - me again - jult52 04:16:45 07/01/12 (1)
- Oh well, just an idea. Back to the drawing board. (nt) - Teresa 16:53:01 07/01/12 (0)
- RE: Classical music listening issue - high strings - briggs 09:33:26 06/30/12 (0)
- RE: Classical music listening issue - high strings - josh358 20:05:44 06/29/12 (4)
- Josh - as always I appreciate your comments. - jult52 09:08:30 07/02/12 (1)
- RE: Josh - as always I appreciate your comments. - josh358 10:19:06 07/02/12 (0)
- Parametric EQ - Bob Stern 00:11:29 06/30/12 (1)
- RE: Parametric EQ - josh358 07:26:29 06/30/12 (0)
- Do you have an analogue source to compare to? - David Smith 12:02:07 06/29/12 (0)
- Personally, I like different speakers when I listen to classical music... - genungo 21:08:18 06/28/12 (0)
- Read Robert E. Greene's articles - hesson11 20:26:41 06/28/12 (2)
- RE: Read Robert E. Greene's articles - jult52 09:34:25 07/03/12 (1)
- RE: Read Robert E. Greene's articles - hesson11 15:59:13 07/03/12 (0)
- RE: Harshness in treble - Paul_A 20:02:18 06/28/12 (0)
- Do you have any recordings of strings in simple stereo - Timbo in Oz 19:54:56 06/28/12 (0)
- RE: Classical music listening issue - high strings - Todd Krieger 17:04:35 06/28/12 (0)
- Any Possiblity You Have A Blown Driver? - Mike Porper 15:29:33 06/28/12 (1)
- RE: Any Possiblity You Have A Blown Driver? - jult52 09:33:30 07/03/12 (0)
- Please list specific recordings, if you can - John Marks 10:34:44 06/28/12 (4)
- It's been happening across a wide range of recordings - jult52 10:38:42 06/28/12 (3)
- RE: It's been happening across a wide range of recordings - pbarach 13:13:05 06/28/12 (2)