In Reply to: I wanted to thank everyone for their posted by jult52 on July 1, 2012 at 04:18:40:
I don't really know where to begin other than by saying that it seems you have a system guaranteed to create the kinds of problems that you are describing.
Let me start by saying that live strings, no matter where in the audience that I sit (for that matter even sitting on stage) never sound harsh to me...that is live string sounds are never overlaid with the kind of digital distortions that you are describing.
Class D amplification sounds extremely wrong to my ears and seems to distort that sound that it reproduces. I don't know why, but Class D amplification alone can create the kind of problems you are describing. Compare the sound of Class D to Class A amplification. I think going to Class A will make a world of difference.
Furthermore, lets not overlook the digital source. These add digital distortions that overlay the sound. I find SACD to be the least distorted and closest to analog of the digital sources. When done right, it can fool me quite easily into thinking that I am hearing live music. I use SACD for my most critical listening, especially my most critical listening to classical music.
Moreover, when I have auditioned Magnepan speakers I found that they had a narrow band peak or break-up that added shriek and glassiness around 1-2 kHz, the problem area that you are describing with regard to orchestral strings.
What you have is a recipe for disaster...Class D amplification, a lower resolution digital source and speakers that act up at problematic frequencies.
First thing I would do is to try Class A amplification, then add an SACD source. I think these two steps alone might cure the problem.
The final step would be to address the speakers. Truth be told, I have not found many that do not have the same kinds of problems.
The Dynaudio line might be one to investigate as their abiding characteristic seems to be an exacting neutrality that gets out of the way of orchestral string sounds.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Classical music listening issue - high strings - jult52 10:22:01 06/28/12 (49)
- RE: Classical music listening issue - high strings - email@example.com 15:50:19 07/12/12 (0)
- That is merely a symptom of a system wide problem I like to refer to as "audioitis." You're merely hearing - tinear 09:18:09 07/12/12 (0)
- I wanted to thank everyone for their - jult52 04:18:40 07/01/12 (5)
- Lots of problems - layman 11:07:00 07/01/12 (4)
- Do you like how the violin section of an orchestra sounds live? - Teresa 03:46:38 07/01/12 (19)
- You're Actually A Guy, Aren't You? - Mike Porper 08:21:27 07/03/12 (2)
- Next she'll tell us she's sold all her Paavo Jarvi recordings - flyingdutchman 17:06:54 07/02/12 (4)
- Actually - Teresa 19:33:23 07/02/12 (3)
- RE: Do you like how the violin section of an orchestra sounds live? - flyingdutchman 17:04:42 07/02/12 (0)
- Teresa - EXPOSED FOR ALL TO SEE!! - krisjan 05:24:34 07/01/12 (7)
- Thanks I changed argo to arco. - Teresa 17:11:35 07/01/12 (2)
- Teresa - Nice to have you back - have the sanctions against you here been lifted? [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 18:52:57 07/01/12 (1)
- Been back for over a year, however - Teresa 19:00:28 07/01/12 (0)
- really? - Analog Scott 11:44:01 07/01/12 (3)
- Correct I didn't use the word "harsh" once in the post krisjan responded to - Teresa 18:57:15 07/01/12 (0)
- RE: really? - ahendler 18:29:08 07/01/12 (1)
- RE: really? - Analog Scott 23:29:29 07/01/12 (0)
- Hi Teresa - me again - jult52 04:16:45 07/01/12 (1)
- Oh well, just an idea. Back to the drawing board. (nt) - Teresa 16:53:01 07/01/12 (0)
- RE: Classical music listening issue - high strings - briggs 09:33:26 06/30/12 (0)
- RE: Classical music listening issue - high strings - josh358 20:05:44 06/29/12 (4)
- Josh - as always I appreciate your comments. - jult52 09:08:30 07/02/12 (1)
- RE: Josh - as always I appreciate your comments. - josh358 10:19:06 07/02/12 (0)
- Parametric EQ - Bob Stern 00:11:29 06/30/12 (1)
- RE: Parametric EQ - josh358 07:26:29 06/30/12 (0)
- Do you have an analogue source to compare to? - David Smith 12:02:07 06/29/12 (0)
- Personally, I like different speakers when I listen to classical music... - genungo 21:08:18 06/28/12 (0)
- Read Robert E. Greene's articles - hesson11 20:26:41 06/28/12 (2)
- RE: Read Robert E. Greene's articles - jult52 09:34:25 07/03/12 (1)
- RE: Read Robert E. Greene's articles - hesson11 15:59:13 07/03/12 (0)
- RE: Harshness in treble - Paul_A 20:02:18 06/28/12 (0)
- Do you have any recordings of strings in simple stereo - Timbo in Oz 19:54:56 06/28/12 (0)
- RE: Classical music listening issue - high strings - Todd Krieger 17:04:35 06/28/12 (0)
- Any Possiblity You Have A Blown Driver? - Mike Porper 15:29:33 06/28/12 (1)
- RE: Any Possiblity You Have A Blown Driver? - jult52 09:33:30 07/03/12 (0)
- Please list specific recordings, if you can - John Marks 10:34:44 06/28/12 (4)
- It's been happening across a wide range of recordings - jult52 10:38:42 06/28/12 (3)
- RE: It's been happening across a wide range of recordings - pbarach 13:13:05 06/28/12 (2)