In Reply to: I do understand. posted by rbolaw on June 21, 2012 at 08:43:49:
There is nothing "difficult" or "expensive" about it.
"Kids today aren't much different, nor are the pirates."
Yes, they are quite different. Rather than making a cassette copy of an lp, in less than two minutes they are making an exact copy of the entire store which can be replicated and distributed ad infinitum. That impacts the picture quite differently. As a friend said, it's the difference between grabbing an apple off the pile at the supermarket and getting a bunch of friends together to back a semi up to the supermaket and clean the whole place out, for about the same cost/time/effort. It's a different result.
And to clarify, I don't think the "pirates" are the biggest problem. As you say, they will exist regardless. No doubt there is a black market for Macbooks. The difference is how Emily feels about buying a stolen Macbook compared to copying a hard drive of music.
As for the "two of us" educating a generation, I'll do my part. You'll notice that the article has now had over half a million views, and you might read some of the comments to get an idea of other people's views on the subject.
Edits: 06/21/12This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - A well-written essay - David Smith 17:36:45 06/18/12 (32)
- RE: A well-written essay - email@example.com 14:55:52 06/19/12 (1)
- The trichordist blog warned you of a trojan??? - David Smith 15:55:45 06/19/12 (0)
- Not so much, IMO. - rbolaw 11:44:00 06/19/12 (23)
- RE: Not so much, IMO. - David Smith 16:15:15 06/19/12 (20)
- If you're right, three things will likely happen -- none of which are Emily's fault. - rbolaw 18:01:38 06/19/12 (19)
- RE: If you're right, three things will likely happen -- none of which are Emily's fault. - David Smith 19:24:49 06/19/12 (18)
- Blaming the consumer - rbolaw 08:25:35 06/20/12 (17)
- No, blaming the thief. - David Smith 09:45:09 06/20/12 (16)
- Sorry I can't get my point across to you. - rbolaw 11:10:29 06/20/12 (15)
- I understand your point fine - David Smith 14:10:23 06/20/12 (14)
- Then you understand - rbolaw 19:32:09 06/20/12 (8)
- Nope - David Smith 19:53:42 06/20/12 (7)
- The technology is already there - rbolaw 06:33:43 06/21/12 (6)
- You still don't understand - David Smith 07:12:38 06/21/12 (5)
- I do understand. - rbolaw 08:43:49 06/21/12 (4)
- This is why I pay for my music and don't give it away - GEO 19:14:07 06/20/12 (4)
- The thing is - David Smith 19:40:17 06/20/12 (3)
- Virtually every aspect of our society is corrupt and lacking what we'd call ethics. - Rick W 08:59:00 06/21/12 (1)
- I'm sure you're right about not eliminating it - David Smith 09:21:49 06/21/12 (0)
- RE: The thing is - GEO 05:25:17 06/21/12 (0)
- Consumers are rational SOME of the time. - Timbo in Oz 15:55:49 06/19/12 (1)
- RE: Consumers are rational SOME of the time. - rbolaw 13:28:28 06/20/12 (0)
- I dispute one of his factual contentions - John Marks 08:38:19 06/19/12 (4)
- RE: I dispute one of his factual contentions - Thornhill 11:26:56 06/19/12 (2)
- So they pay them up front instead of over time... - David Smith 15:56:41 06/19/12 (1)
- RE: So they pay them up front instead of over time... - Thornhill 06:05:17 06/20/12 (0)
- RE: I dispute one of his factual contentions - David Smith 08:47:37 06/19/12 (0)
- RE: A well-written essay - ahendler 20:06:55 06/18/12 (0)