Yes, you read that right! You can get the equivalent of 8 CDs of Beethoven Piano Sonatas for the low, low price of $9.99 (includes PDF of booklet). My guess is that EMI is trying to get as much as possible out of this set which was originally scheduled to be realeased in four 2-disc sets. Well, they did the first 2-disc set (not that long ago), and now the complete set is out. I can't justify the cost of the CD version, but this is one of those bargains that may reveal a few gems to justify the small outlay.
The bit rate for these is 256 kbps, and the sound is not bad. Like the original release of the first two discs, the piano is a little bright at times.
These are probably the fastest versions of the sonatas you've ever heard. Her technique is formidable, but her youth gives away much in depth of feeling. She's not shy about what she thinks is right. These are not wishy-washy performances.
I downloaded this and converted it to constant bit rate 256 kbps MP3 with dBpoweramp batch converter (my Oppo BDP-95 doesn't display the tag information in the original m4a format), and I was good to go.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - HJ Lim Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas $9.99 at iTunes - srl1 14:32:52 06/04/12 (12)
- I keep thinking these recordings will show up on Spotify, but they haven't yet [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 15:51:13 06/05/12 (0)
- RE: HJ Lim Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas $9.99 at iTunes - Thornhill 09:35:04 06/05/12 (10)
- I think that this is an experiment for EMI - Kas 13:58:43 06/05/12 (0)
- I think it's a good strategy. - rbolaw 11:08:20 06/05/12 (7)
- RE: I think it's a good strategy. - Thornhill 12:22:38 06/05/12 (6)
- RE: I think it's a good strategy. - Tadlo 13:01:04 06/05/12 (5)
- Heard that already. Can't recall exactly: was it 1929? n/t - Luciano,IT 23:15:19 06/08/12 (0)
- It's not that black and white - Thornhill 06:34:49 06/06/12 (1)
- RE: It's not that black and white - Kas 11:45:04 06/06/12 (0)
- zero profit is a long-run equilibrium in a competitive market - Frihed89 22:00:05 06/05/12 (0)
- RE: I think it's a good strategy. - rbolaw 14:03:01 06/05/12 (0)
- Just think what they could sell the 85 DiscToscanini for... - srl1 10:33:39 06/05/12 (0)