In Reply to: CD-Only Box Set of Mercury Living Presence; $99 for 50 CDs posted by John Marks on March 6, 2012 at 09:20:39:
I've been enjoying this set now for several days. As much as I thought I knew some of these recordings, I did not know as much as I thought I knew.
My playback system has changed drastically in the last twenty years. It has evolved and improved and I now see that many of my previous prejudices concerning the Mercury recordings stemmed almost entirely from the quality of the playback system that I was using at the time and from a faulty memory. Listening to these recordings anew has set the record straight.
I said earlier that recording technology has improved a lot in fifty years. I was entirely wrong. Based on this set, recording technology has not improved at all in fifty years. These recordings embarrass current recordings. The Mercury recordings sound miraculous.
Perhaps the superb sound quality of these recordings stems from the use of the legendary tube-based Telefunken U-47 mics or perhaps the superb sound quality of these recordings reflects the skills of recording engineers Bob Fine and Wilma Cozart Fine but whatever the case may be, the music quality and sound quality of these recordings HAS NEVER BEEN EQUALED and probably never will be equaled. These recordings represent the high water mark, the absolute best that sound recording has ever achieved.
I consider this set an absolute must buy for all audiophiles. Do not hesitate!
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - CD-Only Box Set of Mercury Living Presence; $99 for 50 CDs - John Marks 09:20:39 03/06/12 (33)
- Must Buy - layman 14:33:23 03/24/12 (3)
- recorded sound hasn't progressed since 1962??? - pbarach 13:12:57 03/25/12 (2)
- RE: CD-Only Box Set of Mercury Living Presence; $99 for 50 CDs - middleground 10:35:44 03/10/12 (0)
- Dang, it's back-ordered - jec01 07:57:56 03/08/12 (2)
- It's also available on Amazon for about $3 more * - Mike K 15:59:00 03/08/12 (1)
- But shipping at Amazon is free.... (nt) - Kas 11:27:04 03/09/12 (0)
- What about the Decca Sound box instead? - woober goober 05:23:16 03/08/12 (3)
- Thanks Chris and Daverz - saving my pennies for the Decca box -nt - woober goober 17:21:21 03/11/12 (0)
- Decca simply has a much larger catalog to draw from... - Daverz 14:51:38 03/09/12 (0)
- Some folks prefer Decca - they had their own "Golden Age" too [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 09:49:47 03/08/12 (0)
- So, a question from a classically ignorant music lover - Mike K 08:03:55 03/07/12 (13)
- This one is a no brainer - Analog Scott 11:39:41 03/10/12 (1)
- RE: This one is a no brainer - nairb 04:48:38 03/27/12 (0)
- RE: So, a question from a classically ignorant music lover - middleground 10:33:39 03/10/12 (1)
- Only as it pertains to a musical genre * - Mike K 15:03:45 03/11/12 (0)
- I'd recommend The Decca Sound instead. - Daverz 23:55:25 03/08/12 (0)
- RE: So, a question from a classically ignorant music lover - Frihed89 11:37:08 03/08/12 (2)
- Your approach makes sense - Mike K 15:58:09 03/08/12 (1)
- RE: Your approach makes sense - Frihed89 04:30:02 03/09/12 (0)
- Yes and no - layman 10:40:47 03/08/12 (1)
- "I wish Mercury would do a box set of SACDs" - Chris from Lafayette 19:38:07 03/08/12 (0)
- I'm in the same situation. - rditmars 16:49:22 03/07/12 (0)
- It could be a great place to start, could be....... - Chuck Y 09:47:52 03/07/12 (0)
- "Classically ignorant." That's a classic. nt - tinear 08:48:36 03/07/12 (0)
- Not familiar with quite a few of these recordings - jimbill 12:15:18 03/06/12 (5)
- RE: Not familiar with quite a few of these recordings - nairb 04:18:40 03/25/12 (1)
- Fin de siecle - layman 11:58:15 03/25/12 (0)
- Kind of... - John Marks 15:10:11 03/06/12 (0)
- RE: Not familiar with quite a few of these recordings - Chris from Lafayette 13:59:46 03/06/12 (1)
- I've got a couple of the recordings - jimbill 14:29:18 03/06/12 (0)
- RE: CD-Only Box Set of Mercury Living Presence; $99 for 50 CDs - Chris from Lafayette 10:09:23 03/06/12 (0)