In Reply to: where are... posted by docw on April 30, 2007 at 15:09:48:
Nowhere, they cannot really be spoken of in the same sentence. And Maazel isn't to be spoken in the same sentence as Haitink, Masur, and Ozawa. Ozawa is the most interesting of them as a musical mind, albeit very erratic. I've heard some horrendous Bach from him but also some distinguished Mahler, Messiaen, and Takemitsu. And his Sibelius/Tchaikovsky disc with Mullova must be one of the most successful ones out there (not least thanks to Mullova, of course, who is such a good champion of even this kind of material). Mehta and Masur I only know from their New York days so I'm not really able to say much that hasn't been said many times before.
But in the earlier context one should have absolutely mentioned also the late great Oleg Kagan, who is barely remembered today. What a musician. And maybe Natalia Gutman, who so very thankfully just released a recording of Schumann cello concerto with Abbado.
And Boulez would deserve a separate treatment altogether.
But maybe you would differ.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Mstislav Rostropovich... - orejones 04:31:36 04/27/07 (17)
- Re: Mstislav Rostropovich... - MylesJ 17:52:13 04/30/07 (0)
- Re: Mstislav Rostropovich... - tlyyra 20:09:35 04/27/07 (3)
- where are... - docw 15:09:48 04/30/07 (2)
- Very sad - DragonEars 19:24:07 04/27/07 (0)
- Yes, sharp mind, not just great musician... nt - sser2 10:28:56 04/27/07 (4)
- Apology - Amphissa 10:19:34 04/28/07 (1)
- No apology needed. - sser2 16:26:48 04/28/07 (0)
- Bull - Amphissa 07:21:05 04/28/07 (1)
- Your posts are usually fabulous. But, with due respect... - SE 09:19:08 04/28/07 (0)
- Once I taped him on the NY Phil PBS Great Performances, - docw 06:55:13 04/27/07 (2)
- Video of Rostropovich playing the Dvorak concerto - BarneyT 08:02:44 04/28/07 (0)
- The recording to play is Britten's Symphony for Cello. - Bob Neill 09:39:08 04/27/07 (0)
- Re: Mstislav Rostropovich... - mes 05:26:13 04/27/07 (1)
- I must say.... - damage k 06:26:35 04/27/07 (0)