In Reply to: AND PLACE INSIDE A FARADAY CAGE. posted by Tony Lauck on August 15, 2012 at 16:53:18:
"EMP has been known to kill brand new PCs still sitting in unopened packaging. If you are worried about such things you need to live inside a Faraday cage, which is what a friend built after a local lightening strike destroyed several virgin computers."
Hey Tony, I understand what you're saying, and I suppose it's possible.
However, if it was 'likely', there would be proof and numerous examples, and I haven't seen any. In 30 years of working with personal computers, your's is the only story I've heard regarding that. Even then, since your friend's computers were new, in unopened boxes, there is no way to affirm that a lightning strike toasted them - more likely they were already toast. Your friend does not know - he's just guessing.
Anyway, thanks for the reply!
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Lightning noise - Inmate51 19:59:31 08/14/12 (22)
- RE: Lightning noise - russ69 22:24:38 08/16/12 (0)
- I don't. Something in your system is picking up noise like AM radio does - Chris O 07:38:30 08/15/12 (1)
- RE: I don't. Something in your system is picking up noise like AM radio does - Inmate51 07:50:33 08/15/12 (0)
- RE: Lightning noise - Inmate51 07:34:30 08/15/12 (3)
- RE: Lightning noise - mls-stl 07:36:54 08/15/12 (2)
- Maybe this thing will help - Rob Doorack 07:26:50 08/15/12 (5)
- RE: Maybe this thing will help - pictureguy 22:18:21 08/15/12 (0)
- RE: Maybe this thing will help - Inmate51 07:44:53 08/15/12 (3)
- UNPLUG! - woober goober 07:21:29 08/15/12 (5)
- AND PLACE INSIDE A FARADAY CAGE. - Tony Lauck 16:53:18 08/15/12 (4)
- RE: Lightning noise - riley804 03:14:37 08/15/12 (1)
- RE: Lightning noise - Rockethead26 03:41:39 08/15/12 (0)
- RE: Lightning noise - IEaudiodude 20:25:01 08/14/12 (0)