In Reply to: SPL meter APP for smart phone posted by hifitommy on May 12, 2012 at 15:28:18:
We have measured the iphone and several apps for sound measurement - out of a curiosity and concern as we manufacture and sell very high end sound analyzers. The iPhone set on a tripod - to minimized reflections was +/- 4dB in level when measuring signals from a small loudspeaker. The results we lots worse when held in your hand - as the microphone(s) were disturbed by your hands presence and remember to turn it around so the mics face the source.
Some of the apps that measure relative level - MLS based stuff - were also effected - unless the compresser was turned off - takes software to do this.
Studio six does make an full external mic accessorie package that is generallt +/- 2dB
Above is reponse of Bruel and Kjaer SLM with mic on a tripod - a little bit flatter. But $5K. We rent for less.
Three most important things in Audio reproduction: Keep the noise levels low, the power high and the room diffuse.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - SPL meter APP for smart phone - hifitommy 15:28:18 05/12/12 (9)
- RE: SPL meter APP for smart phone - BigguyinATL 06:44:12 05/14/12 (2)
- for a cursory check - hifitommy 08:34:10 05/14/12 (1)
- RE: for a cursory check - BigguyinATL 10:57:42 05/15/12 (0)
- There's an APP for that....... - AbeCollins 15:26:01 05/13/12 (1)
- the studio six one looks like it... - hifitommy 16:06:16 05/13/12 (0)
- RE: SPL meter APP for smart phone - mcondo 04:40:36 05/13/12 (2)
- RE: SPL meter APP for smart phone - Jwm 07:08:36 05/13/12 (1)
- RE: SPL meter APP for smart phone - mcondo 05:05:14 05/14/12 (0)
- RE: SPL meter APP for smart phone - BubbaMike 17:19:44 05/12/12 (0)