For you acoustics pros and wizards.
What's the best way to decouple a component from vibrations in the bass region--say, below 200 Hz?
I live in a concrete and steel building where the building resonates at low frequencies. This is pretty common I think. I can hear every note of the bass line of the music played by my downstairs neighbor, but hardly anything else. And I don't like listening to her bass lines. Also, if coupling to the structure is this strong--if that much energy is passing into the building--it can't be good for the sound, right?
So I'd like to come up with an easy, cheap solution that I can use myself and offer to neighbors to solve this problem. Obviously, there will be some coupling through the air, and there's probably not much that can be done about that. But it shouldn't be that hard to put something under the speakers, or the TV, or whatever's making noise, that would keep it from coupling directly to the building's structure.
What's the best approach?
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Acoustics question - Jim Austin 10:43:28 09/17/08 (26)
- Typical Structure-Borne Sound Transmission. - Halcroman 22:15:47 09/21/08 (0)
- I just went through this with my speakers... - Paul_A 16:25:41 09/18/08 (0)
- RE: Acoustics question - soulfood 20:12:49 09/17/08 (2)
- RE: Acoustics question - Jim Austin 05:23:10 09/18/08 (1)
- RE: Acoustics question - soulfood 09:11:34 09/18/08 (0)
- RE: Acoustics question - mauimusicman 16:56:56 09/17/08 (1)
- Yeah... - Jim Austin 17:10:12 09/17/08 (0)
- RE: Acoustics question - Andy 14:56:49 09/17/08 (0)
- RE: Acoustics question - Kal Rubinson 13:14:47 09/17/08 (6)
- I second the IsoNodes suggestion. -t - Bruce Kendall 15:08:09 09/18/08 (0)
- I don't believe there is a fix - Peter Breuninger 13:25:45 09/17/08 (4)
- You can reduce the problem -- but not fix it - Richard BassNut Greene 07:19:47 09/18/08 (0)
- RE: I don't believe there is a fix - Kal Rubinson 14:16:57 09/17/08 (2)
- "energy is passing into the building--it can't be good for the sound, right? " - Richard BassNut Greene 13:12:58 09/17/08 (0)
- Convince her to use dipole woofers. - Al Sekela 13:09:42 09/17/08 (1)
- Why? .... Dipoles won't make much difference - Richard BassNut Greene 13:21:05 09/17/08 (0)
- RE: Acoustics question - dbphd 12:24:26 09/17/08 (1)
- Good suggestion db. Thanks. nt - Jim Austin 12:26:48 09/17/08 (0)
- RE: Acoustics question - John A. Casler 11:04:47 09/17/08 (5)