In Reply to: Yet another e-bay moral question posted by John N on March 9, 2003 at 09:48:56:
I e-mailed both the seller and the high bidder. I would have gone to the top three bidders, but the next one down the line was a new e-bayer with no information that would make it easy to e-mail him, so I was satisfied with the top bidder.
I got an extremely snotty e-mail back from the seller essentially threatening legal action and telling me to mind my own business.
The high bidder did not respond and won the auction.
I must disagree rather strongly with nijohn's position. I try to behave morally, and I would not want to get stuck with something that was very different than described. I get slightly sad when I buy a record that was advertised as A whcih looks like it was used in several ultimate frisbee games. I have also been the benficiary of kindness and getting involved by people who didn't need to, and feel that I have the obligation to reciprocate. I am not an e-policeman, but in those one or two situations where I can uniquely provide help, I will.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Yet another e-bay moral question - John N 09:48:56 03/09/03 (30)
- What I did - John N 08:43:35 03/10/03 (4)
- Re: What I did - njjohn 14:46:54 03/10/03 (1)
- Re: What I did - Darryl 09:30:58 03/11/03 (0)
- Interesting......... - Chris Garrett 09:21:26 03/10/03 (1)
- Re: Interesting......... - John N 11:27:00 03/10/03 (0)
- it's not your morality - njjohn 19:49:54 03/09/03 (11)
- Re: it's not your morality - Don T 07:04:09 03/10/03 (9)
- Re: it's not your morality - njjohn 14:32:27 03/10/03 (8)
- Re: it's not your morality - Don T 19:41:41 03/10/03 (4)
- good argument - njjohn 04:40:01 03/11/03 (3)
- Re: it's not your morality - email@example.com 14:55:37 03/10/03 (2)
- What if you were the high bidder - eric the red 20:41:30 03/09/03 (0)
- Only If You Know the Serial Number... - Todd Krieger 15:28:40 03/09/03 (0)
- Re: Yet another e-bay moral question - Ross 14:28:04 03/09/03 (0)
- Re: Yet another e-bay moral question - mikel 11:52:06 03/09/03 (0)
- tick, tick, tick . . . don't delay, contact eBay! (nt) - Jay 11:40:23 03/09/03 (2)
- eBay doesn't tend to pay much attention... - David S. 13:04:52 03/09/03 (1)
- Too bad - Jay 14:07:55 03/09/03 (0)
- Re: Yet another e-bay moral question - firstname.lastname@example.org 11:28:37 03/09/03 (2)
- How does one know - rnhood 14:36:37 03/09/03 (1)
- Re: How does one know - email@example.com 14:45:33 03/09/03 (0)
- Thats a toughy - Char 11:12:03 03/09/03 (0)
- Juicy! - Rob Thomas 11:05:52 03/09/03 (0)
- Email the seller - eric the red 10:52:40 03/09/03 (0)
- Re: Yet another e-bay moral question - firstname.lastname@example.org 09:56:37 03/09/03 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.