In Reply to: Re: cdp/transport suggestions? posted by digepix on February 8, 2003 at 14:45:35:
I am using a used Pioneer PD-65 (~$350) as a transport. I have tried an Arcam Alpha 7, modified (CD player mods) Pioneer DV525, and a modified (transport mods) Pioneer DV37. All 4 transports perform much better with the Daruma roller blocks underneath. The PD-65 pretty much waxes the other three transports--sweeter, yet very detailed sound. I really wanted the DV37 to win out! But, its sound is overly detailed and harsh with a tight/taut bass.
I have the PD-65 sitting on 3/4 inch plywood under which are the three Daruma roller blocks. The Darumas rest on another 3/4 inch plywood board. This board rests on Vibrapods which are shimmed to achieve a level reading.
The sound is sweet, detailed with a wide and deep sound stage. The transport feeds an MSB Gold Link DAC III via an Harmonic Technologies Cyber-Link Platinum. Electonics are SS. Note, the upsampling option of the Gold is not used since it imparts harshness on the sound.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - cdp/transport suggestions? - Kiefer74 13:48:19 02/08/03 (12)
- Meridian 500, used <nt> - mrg 09:34:20 02/10/03 (0)
- Arcam CD72. Then, - matthewk 22:15:15 02/08/03 (0)
- Not a good time for a new unit - John C. - Aussie 17:10:54 02/08/03 (1)
- Re: Not a good time for a new unit - Kiefer74 07:21:48 02/11/03 (0)
- Re: cdp/transport suggestions? - Alung 15:54:01 02/08/03 (0)
- Re: cdp/transport suggestions? - Socrates 14:30:53 02/08/03 (6)
- which transport? <nt> - Kiefer74 06:38:23 02/11/03 (0)
- Re: cdp/transport suggestions? - LennyF 16:13:44 02/10/03 (0)
- Re: cdp/transport suggestions? - digepix 14:45:35 02/08/03 (3)Follow Ups
- Re: cdp/transport suggestions? - rlm 12:32:55 02/09/03 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.