In Reply to: Which is more important - DAC or Drive? (nt) posted by ahjohn on January 17, 2003 at 06:26:53:
Jitter is the biggest enemy of digital and both player and DAC play a part in minimising this. But as Rodney says, if the player is producing garbage, the best DAC money can buy will not eliminate it. It just will not add much more garbage to it.
This has been driven home here in my search for a good CD changer, feeding the digital out into a Meridian 861 V3. Certainly much better than the internal DAC but still levels below the 800 player. I'm still hunting for the answer and am afraid there is not an acceptable one - the result of having a revealing system.
So, to answer your question I agree with others that few DVD players deliver the goods for fine music although it has been reported to me that some Marantz players are better. Whether or not they would be good enough for you only your ears can judge.
Generally dedicated players coupled to dedicated DACs give the best results and I do not agree that horrendously expensive digital cable is needed. However it all boils down to available finances so, in your situation I would first try out a Marantz player, and if that did not fit the bill, hunt around for a good DAC, maybe an ART DIO? BTW, in my hunt for a good CD changer I looked closely at the Sony ES series but have read many negative comments re soundstage etc so maybe your Sony is never likely to be the answer for nice music.
Peace at AA
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Which is more important - DAC or Drive? (nt) - ahjohn 06:26:53 01/17/03 (21)
- Ask jj - Norm Strong 17:35:37 01/18/03 (0)
- Re: Which is more important - DAC or Drive? (nt) - andre 14:19:44 01/17/03 (1)
- I agree re cable (nt) - TommyK 08:20:58 01/20/03 (0)
- Both are important - John C. - Aussie 14:18:56 01/17/03 (2)
- Re: Both are important - LouD 04:32:01 01/18/03 (1)
- Experimentation with PCs - John C. - Aussie 14:02:46 01/18/03 (0)
- i tell ya.. one box cdp is hard to beat... - kuma 09:43:20 01/17/03 (1)
- CES - grantv 12:06:50 01/17/03 (0)
- save your money ... - TBone 08:19:19 01/17/03 (0)
- Re: Which is more important - DAC or Drive? (nt) - Rodney Gold 08:18:28 01/17/03 (1)
- I would have to agree. . - John PA 12:31:03 01/17/03 (0)
- tweak your CD player - soil 07:55:29 01/17/03 (0)
- Re: Yes;-) - Jeff Starr 07:43:02 01/17/03 (8)
- Re: Yes;-) - NEAR SOTA 07:51:01 01/17/03 (7)
- Re: Well - Jeff Starr 10:00:16 01/17/03 (4)
- Is there such a thing as Trany\DAC Synergy? - NEAR SOTA 10:19:31 01/17/03 (3)
- I converted my Sony (inexpensive) 775 optical out to dig out and . - John PA 12:29:18 01/17/03 (2)
- Re: EAD transport or dac??? nt - Jeff Starr 17:00:16 01/17/03 (1)
- sorry, I have both but I was referring to the transport. . - John PA 17:54:48 01/17/03 (0)
- more DAC - soil 08:04:12 01/17/03 (1)
- Re: more DAC - NEAR SOTA 10:22:26 01/17/03 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.