In Reply to: RE: 25 years of CD player progress posted by Crazy Dave on July 23, 2012 at 13:34:29:
I know the early CD players had problems...but the Magnevox / Philips were generally at the head of the class.
The first Sony players shared a single DAC in a time-share arrangement between channels. I guess this produced some awful results.
The first players I saw were either the top loader I bought or a kind of front loader where the 'tray' tipped forward and the disk dropped down into the machine.
Your player? Near the start of the tray open/close system in common use today.
But, don't forget later still came the 1-bit players. In a 3-way blind test of 2 of the 1-bit vs a Philips system 16 bit, the listeners could not only tell the difference but preferred the philips player to either of the others. This was to a statistically valid degree.
So, I'd say you've probably got a pretty good early player which took a while to be bettered. I have no idea of the model #s you quote, but do recognize the ES in the Sony models as representing their better efforts.
My impression is that the first players were OK, than went uphill somewhat before a downhill blip during the 1-bit era followed by rapid improvements. I know I must have 'sold' people on CD when they first came out, simply by tossing them a Cassette I recorded off my player onto a regular dolby cassette for the home. The quality was so far ahead of ANY commercial cassette that people 4 or 5 of my friends bought CDs within 6 months of my demo.
I'll also freely admit that once I had my CD player, I pretty much tuned out and my 2nd player was a CA 840c.....about 25 years after my first!
Too much is never enoughThis post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 25 years of CD player progress - jsm71 04:49:41 07/18/12 (35)
- 25 years of CD player progress: amazingly small - Belgarchi 18:38:07 08/11/12 (0)
- RE: 25 years of CD player progress - pictureguy 23:54:38 07/22/12 (8)
- RE: 25 years of CD player progress - Crazy Dave 09:49:53 07/23/12 (7)
- RE: 25 years of CD player progress - pictureguy 11:26:43 07/23/12 (6)
- RE: 25 years of CD player progress - pictureguy 11:39:01 07/23/12 (5)
- RE: 25 years of CD player progress - Crazy Dave 13:34:29 07/23/12 (4)
- RE: 25 years of CD player progress - fantja 12:11:14 07/20/12 (0)
- Congratulations on the Marantz SA-8004 - dvb 23:28:29 07/19/12 (1)
- RE: Congratulations on the Marantz SA-8004 - jsm71 12:26:09 07/20/12 (0)
- RE: 25 years of CD player progress - tmsorosk 19:52:07 07/19/12 (0)
- Yeah, I hear ya.... - rlw 13:13:17 07/19/12 (0)
- RE: 25 years of CD player progress - Crazy Dave 13:01:11 07/18/12 (0)
- RE: 25 years of CD player progress - AbeCollins 09:43:58 07/18/12 (16)
- Macs are nice, but... - rlw 13:21:51 07/19/12 (0)
- Even the modest Squeezebox - E-Stat 15:49:39 07/18/12 (9)
- And those Unix/Linux systems... - rlw 13:29:22 07/19/12 (7)
- Lack of software for Mac, Unix/Linux has always been an issue for me as well. - willkayakforfood 16:16:02 07/19/12 (6)
- Very weak argument when you consider.... - AbeCollins 22:50:29 07/22/12 (5)
- Very weak argument when you consider.... (right back atchya)... - willkayakforfood 23:07:59 07/22/12 (4)
- You've been told ??? - AbeCollins 11:18:55 07/23/12 (3)
- Yes, I've been told. What's so difficult to understand in that? - willkayakforfood 11:26:06 07/24/12 (2)
- RE: Even the modest Squeezebox - AbeCollins 16:28:38 07/18/12 (0)
- RE: 25 years of CD player progress - jsm71 12:07:20 07/18/12 (0)
- What Abe Said...Except Substitute Mac with Linux - Dynobot 10:57:38 07/18/12 (3)
- I play with Linux, too. - AbeCollins 14:15:13 07/18/12 (0)
- RE: What Abe Said...Except Substitute Mac with Linux - blattus 11:18:56 07/18/12 (1)
- RE: What Abe Said...Except Substitute Mac with Linux - AbeCollins 14:22:04 07/18/12 (0)
- I had a B&O CDX - soundnut 05:53:29 07/18/12 (1)
- RE: I had a B&O CDX - jsm71 12:37:54 07/18/12 (0)