So I decided to "borrow" an Onkyo C-S5VL CD/SACD player from my local electronics store. I've been a huge proponent of PC based audio ,vs CD players for years, but what I'm hearing come out of this high endish CD player is making me think I might have been on the wrong side of the argument. I listened for less than an hour tonight, but 2 things that are different from even a $1200 DAC/PC combo are the presence and lack of glare. I'm hearing things that were obscured by noise on my DAC. This is just playing CD-R's that were burned from the same FLAC files that I have been using all along.
My theory is that even as good as DACs have gotten, there is just no substitute for the music being "played" in real time. Also the transport and DAC being hardwired to one another in the same box creates a presence and solidity that is impossible to duplicate with a DAC that is connected via USB, S/PDIF, or even optical.
The only bad news is that high res is going to be much more difficult to obtain. There doesn't seem to much available on SACD in the way of rock, emo, or alternative and there does not appear to be any easy way to burn SACD. I have to admit that I could easily see myself living with "standard definition" CDs at this quality for the foreseeable future.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Just bought a CD player-Might be turning to the dark side - jaydacus 22:59:44 04/16/12 (20)
- "My theory is that ...." - Pinkus 12:15:57 04/23/12 (0)
- RE: Just bought a CD player-Might be turning to the dark side - thebordas 05:28:18 04/23/12 (0)
- RE: Just bought a CD player-Might be turning to the dark side - tmsorosk 04:42:27 04/18/12 (2)
- +1 or, I guess that is +2 -t - Sordidman 10:28:17 04/20/12 (0)
- RE: Haha you have a point there.... nt - navman 06:14:40 04/19/12 (0)
- I am sure that there are certain CD Players that sound better than certain Computer Audio Dac Systems........ - Cut-Throat 17:15:44 04/17/12 (0)
- have always observed the opposite - Joe Murphy Jr 09:10:05 04/17/12 (10)
- certainly not me ... - TBone 11:51:42 04/20/12 (2)
- RE: certainly not me ... - tmsorosk 18:34:59 04/22/12 (1)
- RE: certainly not me ... - AbeCollins 20:27:33 04/25/12 (0)
- RE: have always observed the opposite - Bromo33333 10:23:38 04/18/12 (3)
- RE: have always observed the opposite - Ozzie 18:40:30 04/19/12 (2)
- RE: have always observed the opposite - firstname.lastname@example.org 13:16:43 04/17/12 (2)
- RE: Just bought a CD player-Might be turning to the dark side - Ozzy 03:01:42 04/17/12 (2)
- RE: Just bought a CD player-Might be turning to the dark side - tom.dennehy 07:27:55 04/17/12 (1)
- RE: Oppo BDP-95 and wifi system - Sturmey 21:08:43 04/17/12 (0)