In Reply to: Re: Thanks Werner.. posted by Werner on March 7, 2007 at 05:08:06:
"Hence also tubes, vinyl, SE triodes, horns, LSD, ... we are all hunting for a truth that is not attainable, not even approachable. But that's no reason to make the hunt less than fun."
I don't want the truth Werner for partly for the reasons you give, but some system's are able to consistently give a very convincing lie and in my experience these systems rely on doing the basics right rather than relying on technological 'advances' to hide cost cutting measures.
For me, the primary requirement of an audio system is that it should connect me to the music and affect me emotionally just as the writer and performer of the song intended, even when I'm listening to an old Aretha Franklin recording with obvious analogue hiss which doesn't allow the illusion of the recording being anything other than a recording.
If, for instance, a singer emphasises certain words and structures phrases to give more meaning and emotion to a song, there's more going on than simple changes in volume or timing but this is what most systems miss in my experience and all that is picked up is the sound - not the emotion behind the notes being sung or played.
Of course it's probably impossible to quantify what is going on but once it is heard there's no going back, and those who appreciate the difference are accused of being seduced by euphony/colouration...........or LSD. :0)
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 24 bit 96khz or 192khz ?? - email@example.com 11:00:15 02/28/07 (15)
- For CD Playback, Neither..... - Todd Krieger 03:43:08 03/01/07 (4)
- Any Specific Players? - Robertc88 07:03:16 03/01/07 (3)
- You mean 96K or 96K and 192K? - firstname.lastname@example.org 12:24:41 02/28/07 (9)
- Not sure I understand this phenomenon. - The Rev 12:22:29 03/01/07 (8)
- Re: Not sure I understand this phenomenon. - PAR 13:04:22 03/01/07 (6)
- Re: Not sure I understand this phenomenon. - the rev 10:31:34 03/02/07 (5)
- Re: Not sure I understand this phenomenon. - PAR 16:01:21 03/04/07 (4)
- Re: Not sure I understand this phenomenon. - Ted Smith 12:44:45 03/01/07 (0)
- Re: Thanks Werner.. - email@example.com 10:19:19 03/07/07 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.