Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Vintage Sansui vs. Vintage Kenwood receivers

Hi Craig;

Well I think all the major manufactures were pretty compeititve back in the late 70s. More a choice of styling and features then any real differences in quality at the same price point. I have presently the following vintage receivers:
Sansui 9090DB
Marantz model 19
Kenwood KR9600
Pioneer SX-1980

Each was the top of the line for each company in it's model year. The Marantz is a little older with less power but has great Marantz styling and is a real solid unit. The Pioneer is huge and has more power then I can take advantage of but it is a brute. The Sansui is very popular and has many neat features. But my favorite is the the Kenwood. Great tuner as Kenwood had great RF experiance with their ham radio line. It also has huge heat sinks for it's power size and never acts like it is even breaking a sweat.

So while I can't speak of other models in Kenwood's older line up the KR-9600 is one for the vintage hall of fame IMHO.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Lefty

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Vintage Sansui vs. Vintage Kenwood receivers - Lefty 16:16:42 01/13/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.