Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: In my opinion....

I own 2 pair of Sansui SP-2000 speakers. They are rated by Sansui to be 99db @ 1w/1m. I'm not sure if they are that efficient, but they are very efficient. Low powered tube equipment will get loud. My 60-watt Nad 314 can get insanely loud. I also own a pair of Sansui SP-x6900, which are efficient but not very good. I've heard many of the later Sansui speakers and they can't hold a candle to the SP-2000's. The SP-2000's are a breed apart from earlier Sansui speakers. They are in well-crafted, heavy MDF cabinets. All the drivers are alnico and very well made. The only weakness I see is the electrolytic capacitors in the 12db/octave crossovers. As far as sound goes, I consider them very good.

I sold high-end audio in the 80's and have owned and heard many speakers. I currently own Dynaco A-25, KLH32, AR2ax, ADS 500, KLH17, Warfdale 60, Warfdale 90, Electrovoice Wolverine 12" Coax, Pioneer HMP-60 and have owned ADS 990 speakers for many years. I sold and have listened extensively to Acoustat, Klipsch, JBL, Magnapan, Kef, Kirksater, B&W, Energy, Yamaha, and DCM Time Windows. I have also listened extensively to Vandersteens, JR, Pyramid, Quad ELS-63 and Spica speakers. When I say that the Sansui SP-2000's are very good speakers, it is not out of ignorance of what good sound is.

Are they perfect? NO! -What speaker is? They are good enough that you should listen and make you own decision. You should defiantly not base your opinion on what people say that have never listened to them.

There is something that a good, high-efficiency 4-way gets right. The dispersion is very even and wide-band. The squawker range is particularly well fleshed out. I get plenty of base in my smallish listening room and it is very clean. I listen to classical, folk and rock.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.