Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Did Bozak made their own electronics too??

I can't claim to know a whole lot about Bozak either, but the quality of that preamp made me rethink my opinion of their speakers. Completely.
I had, and still have, never heard one! Just saw those ads, and didn't "get it" about Bozak. These big, monster '50s style rich-guy things, sort of a cross between domestic Klipsch & Electro-Voice Sentry, with a hint of JBL Paragon & top Altec domestic line thrown in. Lots of drivers, not alot of apparent tech at work, big huge woofers in beautifully ornate if rather over-wrought cabinets.
My thought then, and still, was:
How do these guys survive? I mean, who sells 'em, never mind who buys them...
People actually want this stuff? Maybe it was pretty grand in 1957 or even 1962, but it looks like it's stuck in that era. It was like a weird time warp or something, looking at those things. I used to think McIntosh was in their own wacky little word when it came to speakers (and unfortunately, I HAVE heard their horrible overpriced junk!). But Bozak?
Wouldn't it be just as appalling? After hearing the preamp, and reading Doug E.'s words describing that unique, relaxed sound...was that the Bozak house "tone"? Yeah...bring on some speakers! Now I'm interested!
Who was/is Rudy Bozak?
Is he alive and well and camping out with Fester Bestertester in Peru?
There is something very groovy about the Bozak phenomena...
Bozak owners must be a secret society or something. You know the stuff is out there. Rudy did his thing for years & years & years. He's a pioneer. One of the originals. A "father" of High Fidelity.
But I've never read an interview, a profile, never seen a product mentioned in any magazine that I've read & can remember (oh, alright! maybe one of my old High-Fidelity magazine issues had ONE review in it somewhere...). But the company survived into the '80s. And if it disappeared, nobody in the industry really noticed that it was ever there. If Bozak died, either personally or corporately, there was no apparent obituary either way. And if the company was/is still around, wouldn't the name get mentioned somewhere, sometime?
But no. It doesn't. Didn't. Never did. Ever.
Some things are rare.
Some rare things are collectable.
Some collectables aren't particularly rare, but demand far outstrips supply, so everyone knows about the value of these things, even if they have virtually never seen one. Hadley 601 amplifiers, anyone?
But Bozak? BOZAK??
How about something that may be rare, but isn't collectable. Or the collectors aren't talking. They've cornered the market, swallowed all vestige of Bozak's legacy whole...
Where the heck is Rod Serling when you need 'im?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.