Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Where can I get Sprague 6PSP caps?

Thanks Scrooie,

I think I've decided to replace all 23 brown drops in my Sherwood. No reason other than it seems like the thing to do. They all appear to be in great shape. Everything I've read about the brown (or some people call them chocolate) drops is bad. Since I need 7 different sizes of caps, I will probably go with the Sprague 716P since between Angela and AES I can get every size I need. I'll probably change the coupling caps first and then slowly work my way around seeing if they really make a difference.

Every resistor I've checked has tested well within tolerance, so I think I'll leave them for now. The selenium rectifier has to go, but I'm very confused as to how the substitute diodes (or maybe a FRED). Every explanation I've seen refers to 2 wires connected by the diode. My SR has two transformer leads going into the ends and a third connection coming out of the middle. From the schematic, it appears that I would connect a diode to each transformer wire and the ends of the diodes together, which end would connect where the third connection was made on the SR. I'm going to have one of my electronic expert friends look at it before I do it.

The amp sounds very good to me, except for a very low level AC hum when the volume is all the way down. I assume that's the filter caps, which are proving to be a real pain to find. I may change the large one (easiest to find a close substitute) and wait on the small cans. I can't find a 250/150@50v two section cap anywhere on the web. I've found some 500v cans that are close, but I've also read that you shouldn't jump that much in voltage with an electrolytic cap. I think I'll call AES to see what they've got that's not listed on their site.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.