Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I might be able to point you in the right direction....

I have had several 'saucer' stereo systems from Electrohome, which is a canadian company. These stereos were sold sometime in the 70's, and came standard with black, spherical speakers. Although the ones I have owned did not have the slots you are describing, they were similar enough otherwise for your description to have caught my attention. I do know that Electrohome made several different versions of this system (ie. a table-top, and at least one more that had its own 'pedestal' stand), and they all came with similar globe speakers...perhaps the ones you are describing came with the pedestal version...?
At any rate, I do not recall right now the model name or number of these units, I sold mine on ebay and saw others there as well under various headings such as 'saucer stereo', 'eames era stereo' 'space-age stereo', etc. Most of the ones I saw were complete systems, although I have seen just the speakers for sale from time to time.
I do recall the speakers were each equipped with only one driver, and although they did look very cool, the sound quality was pretty bland. Of course, that may not be an issue, or you may be planning on modifying the ones you describe anyways, which would be my personal recommendation if you were to get them for your own use.
Hope this is of some use to you!
-Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.