Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Beautiful!

I was fixing TVs back in the mid 70s when I was in 10th thru 12th grade. Back then,most people still had tube TVs.I would put a classified ad in the paper and charge six dollar service calls when the shops were getting 15 to 20 dollars.I would buy tubes wholesale and in those days,there was a 65% markup and more.I would buy 100 6GH8s for 99 cents each in the summer special in June. Each tube sold for 3.90 cents and the RCA CTC24 had six of them in it.Usually tho,you would be replacing four to five tubes in the RCA and Magnavox TVS. The 6LQ6,the 3A3,the 6CJ3,the 6BK4,and the 6FQ7.I was doing two to three a day at times and it was nothing to have 250 dollars profit in your pocket by the end of the day.That's how I bought all those goodies.It's also how I met my audio mentor. He was director of the maintenance dept of St MARY's hospital in Saginaw,but he also fixed TVS for people at the hospital and others.He got stuck on a TV that he couldn't fix, a Magnavox color flesh tone problem so he called me and he knew much more than I did then.I saw these Klipsch horns tho with EV drivers and he was powering them with a knight KB85 and a Dyna Pat 5.That consumed my interest much more than that TV.We finally figured out what was wrong with that set after 2 weeks of messing with stereo because I told him if we replace every component in the 3.58mc circuit,we would probably fix it.I started changing parts until we fixed it and it turned out to be a pair of 1N60 phasing diodes.Anyway,if it weren't for that Magnavox TV with the color flesh tone problem,,I probably wouldn't be in high end audio.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 01/13/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Beautiful! - Michael Samra 22:13:07 01/13/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.