Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Sort of a conclusion

Airtime you got me into this, with your earlier posts about streaming, as an alternative to airwaves. After reading digital forum posts, bought PS Audio Nuwave DAC to try on the system I mainly listen to and found that although it doesn't sound as good as the local classical station via airwaves, the stations and services that stream at 192K are definitely listenable. Lower noise floor and all of the alternative programming are definite advantages of streaming. Piano is one area you really hear the advantages of airwaves.

One caveat about this, looking back I'm not sure I could say that about a lot of the tuners I have tried over the years. If my recollection is correct streaming beats a lot of them. Scott 310E is the tuner I used for the comparison. And I do believe that this classical station, KBAQ is particularly good. So there may be a lot of stations and environments where streaming would be a better choice.

In case someone is going to ask, largest Winegard dedicated FM antennae offered, mounted on the roof.

I am glad I did this, not just to resolve my curiosity, but as a listening alternative.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.