Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: I wonder if it might sound even better sans whizzer-cone and with

Hi Tim,

If I remember correctly, Thorsten and others were recommending attaching foam to the back of the wizzers on pro speakers like the Eminence. Actually, I have a few full range and WR vintage speakers, including Norelco (Philips), Chrysler, Mitsubishi (Diatone) and others. They did not get much respect here, particularly the Japanese stuff, so I usually only paid a few dollars for them. While not the P-610 that everyone wants, it is extremely similar and also is Alnico Magnet. It sounds quite good with its matching cone tweeter in an extremely thin, crappy looking cabinet. These Japanese speakers still show up in thrift stores for cheap, because the primarily came with cheap, all-in-one stereo's that have long since died. A lot of them are in Radio Shack and Lafayette cabinets, that were paired with inexpensive electronics. You can also find them in Kenwood (Trio), Pioneer, Sansui, and others cabinets. On this side of the pond, it would be wise for a budget minded audiophile to take your advice, and go searching there thrift stores. It won't cost much every if you get burned a few times.

The other thing that is still readily available cheap in thrift stores are subwoofer from home theater systems. All you need is a tweeter. The Foster FT17 is capable of the job. There is also lots of good vintage stuff.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I wonder if it might sound even better sans whizzer-cone and with - Crazy Dave 10:27:30 12/04/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.