Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

A different opinion...

I would replace the power supply caps with caps of like capacitance and similar physical size, and a voltage rating equal to, but preferably higher than, the original rating.

If there are any other electrolytics on the board, same as above.

If the coupling caps are electrolytics, same as above, but if they are film caps, I would not bother as the sound may change, and not to your liking.

Absolutely, do not mess with the FM board unless it is acting up, as pointed out above, you would probably need a realignment which would not be good value in the context of the overall value of the piece, but if there are sentimental reasons for redoing the tuner, absolutely, just realize that the water is a bit deeper.

Inspect all resistors, particularly power resistors, for burn marks and replace as needed. Also check diodes as they can get very hot and not only burn, or discolor, the board, but can age as well.

Clean and degrease all potentiometers, and inspect the power cord for fraying or damage.

You should be good for another fifteen years!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A different opinion... - viridian 16:56:32 11/30/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.