Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: It seems that each forum has a personality

I would like to add to that if you will.
I came here a long time ago because of the wars going on at rec.tubes.audio. As I was, and still am a novice it was hard to take the battles, rants and undermining going on with the nasty elite on that blog.
Back in the day the Tube Asylum was just that, guys like me finding old tube gear and bringing it back or learning how to improve circuits and experiment a bit to learn. Dynaco gear ruled then. Present day.... the Tube Asylum is about identifying which tube the dealer stiffed a buyer on.
Tube DIY, which took the place then evolved into it's own has calmed down for now with some good interchange, a few guys building and exploring and few others willing to guide them. I see a few names from rec.tubes pop up now and again just to be their miserable selves, right Douglas?
I tried AK for awhile and their Tube Forum was comprised of crotchety old men stuck on 40's technology, nihilists to say the least. The SS, turntable and Klipsch forums seemed completely different. I quit dropping in when they shouted down Jim McShane, ranting that Jim didn't know anything.
DIY Audio is generally more than I can stay with. Some really good projects like the one Twystd turned us on to at Vinyl a few weeks ago come out of there however.
To the point Audio Asylum seems to be what is left of the middle ground.
FlaCharlie's statement about the traffic is so true as well. Maybe we are all just getting old and deluding ourselves?

Edits: 11/26/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It seems that each forum has a personality - Uncle Mike 14:47:06 11/25/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.