Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Good news

I got on the 8B kick after hearing a number of things, all second hand. First was about an interview with Saul Marantz, when they asked him what he had at home, answered 8B.

Second was ths story that Sid Smith, Marantz transformer designer hand wired the prototype, liked what he heard and sent it out for production. He didn't like what he got back and hand wired every 8B transformer, which has an unusual design described here:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-111#lpk7F1WplwTfh8jq.97

The third was a friend for 30 years, all of his career Hifi, sales and marketing. He heard a lot of systems and mentioned the sweetest sound he ever heard was 8B playing through Quad ESL's.

What I primary listen to are ESL63's, low-mid volume classical. I went on a quest to find a complimentary amplifier and tried a lot of them including 8B both stock and upgraded. I like the combination, but I also found others I like and tend to swap them in and out. The ones I like all have strengths and weaknesses. And some are subtle, have to listen for a while, months at times to appreciate them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Good news - fredtr 15:22:48 11/16/16 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.