Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: I get what Uncle Mike's saying here, too, but .....

"iii) IMO&E most of the reported sound benefits from Valve FM tuners derive from their valved front-ends. ? They are likely to be resistant to strong out-of-band signals below 88 and above 108Mhz. There is a LOT of this RFI/EMI about. Classic SS tuners are not as likely to have this 'feature'. The FM stage will need to be driven hard by a directional antenna to improve the radio system's station selectivity."

From what you say it's evident that radio broadcast has evolved differently than here in the States or the East Coast anyway. very few FM stations are wide bandwidth anymore with most if not all sharing their frequency with an HD sideband. I know because I have a Fisher FM100 that I rebuilt and spent a good bit to have realigned just to have all the local stations move to the HD format. Radio is for listening to on the way to work anymore.
That being said I really don't think the tuner is worth chasing, he could do better with a stand alone input. I have rebuilt and still have several H-K integrated amps, 6V6 and 6BQ5 outputs, and I find them very nice when when paired with vintage speakers. I have a pair of 846 Valencias that I prefer to use with all lower power amps.

Edits: 10/08/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I get what Uncle Mike's saying here, too, but ..... - Uncle Mike 07:20:33 10/08/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.