Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Interesting reading what others say about Luxman.

I sold the gear in the late 70s-early 80s. The best time to be associated with Luxman until the present truly very high end gear.

Read wiki about the company, started as transformer manufacturer...the base building block for a chunk of gear.

The MB-3045 tube amp, 50watt mono were designed by Tim using a proprietary tube but there are instructions to cover the amp to use 6550/KT88 and I have done this to my pair. Great amps for sure. The tube pre CL-35 III and CL-32 of the era were great, too.

Then came the C-1000/M-4000/T-110 pre/amp/tuner set, gorgeous and very capable. Followed by the Laboratory Reference Series gear that is totally over built. Each piece Amp, amp without meter, power led unit, preamp, tuner (2), eq, tone control unit and probably the cassette deck (haven't put my hands on a 5K50) feel like sold blocks of metal they are so heavy. work great too. We used and LRS stack in the soundroom and had all the power we needed with Magnepan and Dahlquist speakers and the amp was only?!? 100wpc.

The turntables were Micro Seiki built to Luxman specs (looks and such) and the PD-441 is a real looker, 444 dual armed and the 555 vacuumed platter. Nice units. The lesser tables weren't great but looked good and were decent enough.

That era we sold a lot of their receivers and only the R-1120 came back, regularly. The others were fine in that series. All looked the same sounded great and well I have a few of them and a number of other Lux pieces. Sure would like to get an LRS stack and even some of the Laboratory Standard Series (except the L-11 apparently) as this are great units, too.

They auditioned all the gear they made back then very seriously and were looking for a specific performance from their gear. They got it. Unfortunately, as the Audio world was changing in 1983 and the Yen had gotten stronger all manufacturers made their gear cheaper to meet a price point and Luxman, a top dollar brand struggled into the hands of Alpine for a number of years. Not quite the same stuff.

But their come back is nice, too expensive for me but some have excellent sound quality, fortunately. Glad to have em back.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Interesting reading what others say about Luxman. - kff 20:37:59 09/21/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.