Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Dented & Scratched Gear

Over the years, I have bought and sold a lot of gear, and along the way was given a lot. Nearly all of it was cosmetically good or better. Some of the speakers did have water rings on the top from drinks or plants, and most electronics were dusty on the inside, and had greasy fingerprints on the face plates and gunk on the knobs; but very little that couldn't be cleaned up.

I guess I must move in different circles, as I really haven't seen that much stuff that was really abused. No, wait, I take that back. I used to drop in at a local shop that had a small repair bench. That's where the atrocities are found. Kids like to put coins into the slots in receiver covers. One receiver had cherry flavored cough syrup in it. Speaker center domes regularly pushed in, cones with tears, and missing knobs.

A lot of minor stuff seems to come from stacking components. That leads to scratches in the covers and knicks in the top edge of the face plate as a piece is slid out of the middle of a stack. It also leads to damaged RCA's and cover dents as the piece on top slams down on the one below. Bottom cover screw heads also take their toll as the back feet slide off the top of the lower piece, and the screw heads hit the top cover and the edge of the face plate. When most consumer grade stuff went to aluminum covers in the late 80's and into the 90's, dents were a lot more common. My NAD C350 has a thin aluminum cover that I can dent by staring hard at it.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.