Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I made some interesting discoveries about my ML CLXs.

As you know I run them with a pair of Citation 2s strapped in mono giving me about 130 watts for each speaker which is going from 55hz to 23khz.Being they are 90db efficiency,they run with one Deuce nicely but on heavier bass notes,it can run out of steam with one.
Believe or not,this two panel speaker has beautiful bass even without my two powered Descent Subs hooked up..The subs tho add a big dimension.
What I've been doing is running R/C filters on the input of the Deuces to roll off the bass at 50hz or 100hz.Since the subs carry everything from 150hz on down,it gives me more usable power on the mids and highs.
I like to run the output of the Deuces into the subs but when I do that,it also rolls off the low end because of the input filters on the Deuce amps.That leaves me to run the subs from the preamp as well.
What I discovered was,the second panel in my speakers is going from 360hz on up and it's directly driven with no crossover.The other panel which is the bass,does have a crossover at 55hz. I have posted the manual along with an old photo of one my subs..This was the same sub I used with my old ML Monolith 2s. I will take some new photos of everything once I get it cleaned up downstairs.I'm almost done remodeling.

Here is what I'm thinking of doing.I now own four Citation 2s and three are rebuilt identically.I was going to do my 4th one and then parallel each amp for 130 watts to drive each of the four panels..I figure on the mid tweeter panel I would parallel the 4 ohm taps giving me 2 ohms which with the McShane mods has no issues driving the panels..I know this because I'm driving both panels now with one amp for each speaker at 2 ohms effectively.I will still use the subs of course.
I figure each speaker will have 240 watts and with the subs having their own amps,that might take things to another dimension. Don't get me wrong because I am very satisfied with two strapped Deuces going from 100cps on up and even 55hz on up.Being I have the amps,why not see what four will do.There was a guy in a Magazine running eight Citation 2s and I only want to run four.I guess I can't be that crazy. LOL

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - I made some interesting discoveries about my ML CLXs. - Michael Samra 00:18:20 09/11/16 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.