Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

What has motivated me for decades

The story begins in 1967 in a friend's home. I still had mono gear, but wanted to go stereo. My friend had this great sounding system. What kind of speakers are those,how much are they, and where did you get them. That was a Friday evening. The next day I was at a shop in downtown Cleveland listening to speakers. My friend had KLH 17's, and I found I liked those best. Wisely, the salesman asked how the rest of my system was. I need a lot of new stuff, said I. Replied the salesman, you might want to look at the KLH Model 20 Compact System, it uses the same speakers. And he gave me a lot of KLH literature to look over. One item was a reprint of a review of the Model 20, and in it, they explained that it was such a standout for the price was that KLH had engineered the pieces to match so they worked together synergistically.

That was a an epiphany for me. I realized for the first time that a stereo system was, in fact, a System, and that one needed to use Systems Engineering Principals to put it together. Well, I thought, I'm and engineer, and I understand the principals of systems engineering. The Model 20 is nice; but has some limitations. It costs $400; but if I'm willing to spend $800 carefully, I should be able to reduce the limitations in several key areas. In other words, a Super Model 20.

That was pretty naïve; and I quickly found I didn't know as much about it as I needed to. And so I started on my quest to build the Super Model 20.

Over the years, the technology changed, the cost of living index inflated my budget, and I learned - often the hard way. And things like the CD changed my specifications for system content. But two things remained constant: the requirement for systems engineering; and the need to get the most bang for my bucks. Although the building of systems over the years has run up a very substantial tab in total.

At this point, I have two complete systems in the den. The primary system is comprised of an Adcom GTP-400 tuner preamp, an Adcom GFA 545 II power amp, a Rotel RCD971 CD player, and a pair of DIY 10", 2 way speakers using SEAS drivers. Accessories are 12 gauge speaker cables, 12" DIY interconnects, and a pair of 15" stands. I have a bit under $2000 in it, thanks to buying things used and some DIY work, and well under $800 in 1969 dollars.

If you look at my comments and equipment choices in earlier posts, you can probably see my involvement with the Super Model 20.

I do admit to going off on much more elaborate and expensive systems a time or two; but I've always come back to the Super Model 20 quest.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - What has motivated me for decades - Bold Eagle 19:27:03 09/02/16 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.