Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Gettng Rid Of That Goodwill Smell -or- Boy, Your Homes Must Reek

I dislike old stuff. It's usually inferior to new stuff - especially in the area of audio electronics. Progress marches on.

But, I needed a secondary CD player, and good new ones cost more than I was willing to spend. Besides, getting a decent disk transport with a decent laser and sending the output to a good DAC seems a pretty good way of getting above average sound for less money.

So, I walked into a few Goodwills here in the Chicago suburbs, looking for player with a digital out. Right away, before I even entered the stores, I could detect the odor of the place. It was like some degenerate potpouri - not as bad as the congealed sweat and mold of many humans at the Salvation Army, but still really, really penetrating.

Anyway, I found a DVD player with a digital out for $5.00 and bought it.

That was 3 weeks ago. It's been sitting in my garage in the uninsulated garage heat - and it still reeks with that Goodwill store stench. I've even taken the cover off - and it's still stinking. In fact, my whole 2-car garage is stinking with that smell.

So, how do I get rid of it? Any one know?

Which brings to mind the people who buy large items from Goodwill - such as furniture. Anything made with porous materials such as cloth is probably permanently infected.

Speakers - boy, those have to stink a lot, too.

I know that a lot of guys have an extremely poor sense of smell, but for those of you who don't, how do you live with that Goodwill stench in your house?
Severius! Supremus Invictus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Gettng Rid Of That Goodwill Smell -or- Boy, Your Homes Must Reek - Newey 01:17:33 08/21/16 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.