Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

With modern sources putting out 2.5v why do I need a preamp

I've been asking myself this question for a long time now. I'm a preamp fan and always have been. But lately I have to wonder why I need this expensive (and with modern tube preamps costly) piece of equipment.

The reason I began to RE-thinking all this is because I've become nostalgic and regret VERY much letting my McIntosh C38 preamp go. That was the one piece of Mac gear I truly appreciated and liked.

I use ONE source and it puts out 2.5 - 3 volts. The two amps I use only require 1.2v input and I don't crank my music (at least anymore). The preamp I use puts out a maximum of almost 10v. A range I will never EVER use.

So outside of needing it for multiple source connections which is something I don't need - why do I really need one?

Charles

Also I've notice a lot of new preamps have a tremendous amount of gain. My CJ has 29db of gain and eats tubes on a regular basis. From an engineering point of view it seems like a poor design model (this is NOT directed at the CJ!! but a general statement) when a source is putting out so much voltage????

Edits: 08/13/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - With modern sources putting out 2.5v why do I need a preamp - airtime 07:40:40 08/13/16 (20)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.