Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

If your amps are working,Leave them alone.

The Sony ES use very good caps are DC coupled in the critical areas so there nothing you are going to mod in the amps by nature of design..You may be able to upgrade some caps,but Sony was very meticulous in choosing very good caps for the Espirit series amps and preamps and all you will end up doing is making things worse if you go in and try to alternate bias points..
What a lot of so called mods consist of is a capacitor or diode change. I redid s Plinus amp 2 years ago where the guy sent to some place in New York and 1200 dollars later the amp sounded like it was out of phase and had a hump in the bass at 35 cycles..All I did was put it back to original and the guy was never so happy. They had these little perforated boards hanging off the B+ rail and one by every push pull pair of output transistors.They had like 6 parts on each and when I called the guy who did the supposed mod,he claimed it was a mod they no longer do because they found a better one with fewer issues.It supposedly added better regulation to the B+ supply but the amp already has superb regulation.There are a lot of people out there pulling this kind of shenanigans so beware.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 08/07/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.