Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Allied 395 receiver

I was given one of these several years back and it languishes in my garage. I am not going to get to it, so if anyone would like a project it's yours for the shipping cost.

The 395 was made for Allied by Pioneer. It is mostly the same as the Pioneer SX1000TX; but has a different and much better tone control section. It uses the old Pioneer speaker wire plugs (I have 2 and the manual with schematics. Rated at 50 W/ch. Nice wood case in good condition was standard.

Last time I tried it, it worked; but it dates back to around 1969-70.

The specifics of the tone control section in the Pioneer SX1000 was a passive interstage set of passive, non-feedback controls. That's supposed to sound better; but in this case, the Pioneer didn't have flat response with the pots centered, and there was no buffer stage after the controls, so the preamp had very high output impedance. The 395 fixed that with more conventional feedback tone controls which have a buffered output, and flat response with the controls centered.

Pioneer used the passive interstage tone controls up to the 1971 model year. They were in my SX990. The next generation, the X2X models like the SX626 used feedback controls and a low output impedance preamp section.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Allied 395 receiver - Bold Eagle 10:40:53 07/29/16 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.