Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Pioneer tube receiver

While I'm recovering from lithotripsy I've been looking at this Pioneer tube receiver.The big thing on these old Japanese units like Sansui and Pioneer and others is you need to change out the old oil caps.These aren't the quality pios that we use from Russia and the USA..They are all leaky for the most part as well as you will find several out of tolerance resistors.Do not use pio caps in the tuner IF because they are metal cased and they will cause issue with because they are large.. You don't even want to use expensive caps here because you want a dipped cap as not to not detune the with long leads or metal cap bodies..Use pio caps in the output stage and voltage amp and preamp out if you wish.You can see I used orange drops and then K40ys in the preamp stage.

Here is a weak spot in the tuner IF where these oil caps are.Use a dipped cap here like a mylar or polyester or a polypro..Sonics don't change here.

Here is where I changed the ones I pointed to.

" I have much more to do on this like changing out the bypass lytics to muses and I'll put a new cord on as well..I changed filter caps on top as you can see. McShane has all the parts you'd need.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Pioneer tube receiver - Michael Samra 19:31:15 07/27/16 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.