Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Marantz 2230 vs Harman kardon 430

I've never heard a head to head comparison so can't help with that. But from general interest this is what I've learned.

First off the 430 is rare for a receive design in that the amp section is dual mono. Also I've read a couple of times (possibly beginning with Holt's comments in Stereophile) that Robert Fulton (FMI) had input in the design of the 430 and it was his recommended unit to match with his "bookshelf" speakers. Also, reviewing comments at a Klipsch site there are many 430 fans among Heresy owners. I've had a couple of 430s pass through over the years and considered them to be quite pleasant sonically.

My experience with Marantz receiver was limited to a 2X model in the early '70s. That proved to be a disappointment. Hearing a few 22XX models later on suggested to me they were greatly improved.

Anyway, I expect both models still have followings today and the choice may be a matter of speaker matching and personal taste. So not much help but you need to try for yourself.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing, if you can fake that you've got it made." Groucho

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Marantz 2230 vs Harman kardon 430 - M3 lover 11:02:34 04/22/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.