Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

2nd what TRDH said.

I've done a few projects that needed transistors replaced, and if you go with new, finding the exact replacement can be tricky, but you may wind up with superior parts. I've done the "find the original parts" thing and it gets expensive, and that's *when* you finally find them.

The problem I'm having now is that while working on a Philips 5781 (BIG power amp), the slew rate of the current equivalents I've found so far is below what they used originally. Smaller transistors have been pretty easy, if not very straightforward - Philips frequently used internal part numbers and private labeled the actual parts with those numbers, but they often can be tracked thru ECG numbers, then NTE, and then to other manufacturers' equivalents.

Finally, it's common to hear that if you replace old with new, you really should consider replacing them all with the same part, then do the rebias, etc, according to the manual. The Philips I mentioned above has *16*, hence my leisurely pace.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • 2nd what TRDH said. - ToddM 10:33:58 08/17/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.