Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Mold is a virulent life form - Some Alternatives

You're kind of screwed.

Lemon oil, lemon Pledge, lemon juice, ammonia, dog urine [good source of ammonia & uric acid] - none of those will work, except to cover up the smell for a while.

Eventually, it'll come back.

Because, it's due to mold and mildew. The only way to kill those spores is with chlorine. But, as has been pointed out, that'll ruin your speakers. If the cones are the cause of the odor, there's not much you can do.

The other thing that can kill mold spores is fire. But, you have to be careful, because some spore may escape on the cooler updraft, floating around in the air, only to re-settle.

Another possiblity would be to place the speakers into a large oven and bake them. Auto body shops have such ovens. However, you'd have to find out at which exact temperature mold may be killed. Also, how much damage the veneers, glues, and drivers would sustain at high temperatures.

Still another possiblity might be radioactive irridiation, such as is used to kill microbes on fruit. However, I don't know if it's exactly effective in killing mold.

Mold is a virulent life form.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Mold is a virulent life form - Some Alternatives - Mike Porper 16:19:10 03/23/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.