Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Some thoughts on why some people are indifferent to alnico.

I suppose in the big picture the alnico magnet is just one piece of the puzzle and it is possible to make a fairly decent system with ceramic magnets if the other elements in the system compliment the characteristics of the ceramic magnets.

For my tastes after comparing hundreds of equivalent ceramic and alnico drivers, the alnico usually adds that little extra polish to the overall system sound that is quite pleasant if you want to listen all day to music at a decent volume. Seems you don't have to work as hard to make a listenable main system with alnico.

With ceramics personally a few hours tops is all I can take even if things are tweaked to compliment the ceramic drivers. If the volume is very low on the ceramics I can listen more than a few hours but the sound is boring to me.

I would suggest that for those that are happy with their system just go with that, for those that feel something is missing you would definitely want to investigate alnico speakers, especially for the midrange if nothing else.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Some thoughts on why some people are indifferent to alnico. - Audio Mind 11:13:45 03/04/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.