Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

1977 Clarion home stereo system

I recently came across a Clarion home stereo system (yes, Clarion). It was purchased from a man who used to work for Clarion back in the 70's. It was the unit he used to promote the upcoming release of the Clarion "UFO" in 1977 at trade shows. He claims they never reached the U.S. market, and only a limited number were sold in Europe before Clarion decided they would stay focused on car/boat audio and not venture into the crowded home stereo market. Does anyone know anything about this? I have done limited research.
Here's a link describing the system: http://www.thevintageknob.org/clarion-UFO.html

Any information or input is greatly appreciated. I do have a number of vintage audio components, but do not consider myself a true collector. I just don't like cool, well made electronics ending up in a landfill. I know it is rare, and I also know that something being rare doesn't necessarily translate into value or being demanded by collectors. Just wanting to ask the people here ( far more educated on the matter than I) what they thought about it. Thanks so much for any info or recommendations. Photo attached. If the photo is unclear, the model #'s are as follows from top to bottom on the rack:
MD-8080
MT-7800
MA-7800
MD-7800
Thanks again.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - 1977 Clarion home stereo system - STLWoody 17:57:08 01/19/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.