Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Compare vintage vs reissue tube amps.

Peter
When you rebuild a vintage Mc275,they are much better than original reissues because the original reissues didn't even make their rated power because of the lower B+..The Mc275 Mk4,MK5,and MK6 especially,are wonderful amps.
As far as it hurting the value,here is an Mc240 which I have done quite a few of with Jim McSHane's upgrades and if you notice,we don't make any physical alterations to the amp and the filter caps are put in with Goop so you can reverse any upgrade back to original should you want to sell it..The thing is,most buyers don't want it put back to original parts because they are all worn out and with these upgrades,the amp sounds better than it ever did because of the quality of the new parts.The amp brings the same price as all original because it doesn't alter the sonic behavior and reliability goes way up..
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 10/19/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Compare vintage vs reissue tube amps. - Michael Samra 01:07:46 10/19/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.