Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: First Separates ?

If H-K says it invented the receiver in the '50s (date from memory) and Fisher invented separates in the '40s, then the question is - what came before?

I disagree with the Fisher suggestion. For many years, the home mono system sitting in the living room and housed in that fine wood cabinet was comprised of a tuner, control amp and power amp or tuner/control amp feeding into a power amp. In many cases even the power supply was separate and for some years all fed into a field coil speaker that sometimes also was fed by a separate power supply.

Some, like E.H. Scott included separate recording turntables and playback units and though I have never seen one, as a kid was told there was a unit featuring a wire recorder in a "high end" mono system.

I have long disputed the allegation that H-K invented the receiver as you only needed to look to the old Atwater-Kent receivers that used separate speakers. Also, there were numerous others as well as short wave companies such as Hallicrafters making them. Then what about crystal sets that used headphones that connected via cords and some form of connector. The allegations by H-K and Fisher are simply marketing departments in hyper-action.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: First Separates ? - Brian Levy 11:23:04 04/15/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.