Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: How long did it take you?

Admittedly, many hours over the course of about a two week period of time to rip about 500 CDs. It is not something that will occur overnight. I think the time was very well spent given the benefits.

I guess the quantity of people shedding all their CDs and going to ITunes and such has made used CDs virtually worthless.

Previously, I used a 300 disk Pioneer changer. For playback in the changer or the cars, I made copies because I was concerned about the originals getting scratched. I had loaded perhaps 200 disks in the changer. It was certainly better than one disk at a time, but the physical gyrations required to change disks significantly limited its usefulness.

My "player" is a Logitech Squeezebox Touch which allows for using your smart phone as the remote. I really cannot convey to you how incredibly powerful and enjoyable music servers are. Since the server itself is a desktop unit located far away from the vintage system, I use Wi-Fi connectivity which is less desirable than using network cable, but I use an aftermarket linear power supply to reduce the noise. One of these days, I'll adapt the main system to computer playback as well.

What I haven't done yet is "rip" my vinyl. I've done a few albums, but the task is a bit more time consuming because you must break the capture of a side into the various tracks AND manually enter the tagging metadata. Someday, I would like to do it. The biggest challenge for me is parking a computer near the main system for an extended period of time. I have a laptop but its onboard sound card doesn't support a stereo line feed.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.