Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Saw a Sad Sight Today

That reminds me of another thrift experience I had yesterday. I saw Pioneer (I guess it was a Pioneer day) SX-7730. Since it was a black face model I thought it was interesting so I wanted to hook it up to see if it worked.

I carried it over to a pair of $50 KLH speakers, plugged it in and turned it on. The power switch was sticky but it turned on alright and I didn't notice any light were out. I looked around for some speaker cable and didn't see any so I headed to the back of the store. I asked to see the guy who worked on electronics. He came out from where he was, saw me and said sneeringly, "Oh it's you." I am casually acquainted with the man and thought we got along fine so I didn't know whey he said that.

I asked him for some speaker wire, he said he didn't have any. I asked him about the sticker that said the receiver worked fine, he said that they had ways to test equipment. I didn't see any test equipment but I dropped that line of questioning. I asked what would happen if I bought and it didn't work and he replied, "Then you're screwed!"

He then accused me of being a dealer. I told him that if I was a dealer I wouldn't be paying his price for a ratty looking receiver. The electronics guy used to work at another thrift on the other side of town and he had things listed at eBay prices but without any of the protections of eBay. I guess he is going to start doing the same thing at this store.

Chad

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.