Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: How to remove platter from Pioneer TT?

I used to own a similar model and had the same scraping problem. After you lift the platter off, check to see if the lip around the bearing has three screws. If so, you can remove those screws to pull out the bearing assembly. The bottom of the assembly unscrews like a jar lid, and inside you'll find a plastic "button," which is what the bottom of the spindle rides on as it turns (I think this is called the "thrust plate" in turntable parlance). Mine was split in half, probably the result of someone dropping or mishandling the table at some point in its life. The split caused the spindle to ride lower than it should, which caused the table to scrape. It also caused obvious speed problems, since the spindle couldn't rotate smoothly.

My solution was to just get rid of the table, but if your problem is similar and you have some time it might be possible to find a replacement button or a worthy substitute. I've heard other TT owners say you can often get a local machine shop to make inexpensive replacements out of teflon, which is probably a much better material than the original.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: How to remove platter from Pioneer TT? - BillyBuck 15:18:19 10/26/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.