Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Sony STR-6036a

It was one rung below the STR-6046A, which was my first receiver. Actually, I have an old Sony ad from, of all places, a National Lampoon....."Our 6036A is conservatively rated at 15 + 15 W RMS. Its 1.5 dB capture ratio is a clue to the tuner's impressive performance."
THD for the 6046A was 0.8% at 20 watts, so I guess the 6036's performance would be similar (the ad didn't state THD). The ad copy states that output is direct coupled, no output capacitors.

Sony was right about conservative ratings. I once took my 6046A to an amplifier clinic (sponsored by Phase Linear I think) and they found something like 25 watts/channel at 0.1% THD, 20 to 20KHz.

The 6046A did not last all that long, though, before developing problems. I still have it, but I don't know enough to diagnose the problem (it always made a scratching noise when it was turned off, and eventually gave very low output, while making the woofer cones slowly pump back and forth.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Sony STR-6036a - geo770 21:20:50 07/07/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.