Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: MD FT101A vs. Fanfare FT-1A

Abe, I had a feeling I would hear from you! :>)

You have been pretty vocal toward that end in your evaluation of the Fanfare ... and from the RCA outputs, I unequivocally agree with your evaluation.

It was not, however, until I read Art Dudley's review of the Ayre AX-7 integrated, where he cited a huge difference in sound when using the the balanced inputs versus that from the RCA, that I ever thought this possible (interestingly enough, he too was dumbfounded by this phenomenon.)

I have been going through the process of downsizing the system, as we moved into a 600 sq ft alcove studio apartment in Manhattan. This led to the Ayre AX-7/CX-7 combo, with which I had been quite pleased when using via the low-level in/outs. The switch, however, to the balanced connections, brough reproduction that was SUBTANTIALLY better. This was one of the primary inspirations for the trial of the Fanfare via the balanced outs.

I was considering one of your past favs, the Halo T3 due to its balanced outs, but a good deal (bad word of mouth and poor reviews on the Tuner Information Center can work to one's financial benefit!) came up on a 17" silver faced FT-1 (and the finish matched the Ayre gear a bit better, so my lovely wife is quite happy), so I tried it. All I can say was that the difference was surprising.

I did my best to listen at what I perceived at matched levels and I am certainly not an engineer, so how to explain this difference? I wish I could say, because otherwise it appears I have an agenda or am trusting in Audiofool vudoo!

Is it still the best tuner I have ever owned or to which I have listened ... no. That designation goes to the Sansui 919 that APS modified. I also greatly enjoyed the Accuphase T-100, the Sequerra Reference and Modeffari-modded MR-78 that each spent cherished time in the system. Like you, I have also enjoyed the MD tuners - 101, 101A and the Etude (although each one experienced that frustrating drift.) On its current sound, it is quite enjoyable, but for me the question was, does the Fanfare have enough potential that I felt a couple hundred of extra dollars to put it in the hands of Don Scott was worth it? Definately.

Then again, those differences in opinions is what makes this hobby FUN!

Good listening!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.